Those who follow the world of marketing know that there has been a tectonic shift from traditional marketing to digital marketing. While earlier, newspaper, magazines, in-store branding, and print marketing took the reins of the marketing world, now is the time for digital marketing that has taken over, becoming the king of marketing.
In this article, we will demystify what digital marketing is by looking at digital marketing questions, and why it is so important for small and medium-sized businesses to join the trend of marketing using the digital medium.
Today in the South Pacific region of Asia, the internet has nearly 55% penetration among the public. This number is growing rapidly with the global internet penetration hovering around 60%.
With all these people using the internet, your target audience is now even easier to reach and market to using the digital space.
This article is for those who wish to know more about digital marketing and wish to prepare for digital marketing interview questions. We present to you the 11 most commonly asked questions in digital marketing. These questions may be asked to you during a job interview, or prove precious when growing your knowledge about digital marketing. Read on to know more.
- What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is an umbrella term that includes all forms of marketing on the internet. Internet marketing is not just limited to social media. It also includes search engine optimization, pay-per-click advertising, link-building activities, mailer promotions, search advertising, and more. In short, any form of marketing that you see on the internet can be described as digital marketing.
- What are the segments that can be used to categorize Digital Marketing?
This is one of the more common digital marketing interview questions that one is asked in an interview. Digital marketing can be categorized into two segments. I.e inbound marketing and outbound marketing.
A. Inbound segment
The inbound segment of digital marketing refers to those marketing activities in which customers give your business more information about themselves. Inbound marketing can be broadly described as lead generation marketing. It also includes social media marketing, webinars, promotional e-books, and more.
B. Outbound marketing
Outbound marketing includes those activities in which a business reaches out to customers. Some examples of outbound marketing can include mailers, advertising on search engines, cold calls, and emails that reach out to customers.
- What is SEO?
SEO is an important part of search engine marketing. The full form of SEO stands for search engine optimization. By following the best practices in SEO you can rank your site on search engines and get noticed by more people searching for products and services like yours.
SEO is the method with which you structure your content, backlink your website, use keywords and promote your website, to rank it higher on Google or any other search engine. The goal of SEO is to get your website ranked on the first results page of search engines.
- What are Keywords and how are they used?
For users of the internet, a keyword is a search term that people use to find what they are looking for on the internet. For digital marketers, keywords are those words that are added to website content and structure, so that search engines like Google can easily find and rank these sites in their search results. In short, the ranking of a website on search engines depends on the ranking and positioning of keywords.
- What are On-Page and Off-Page optimization?
This is one of the many digital marketing practical questions. SEO of a website depends on two key factors. The optimization that you can do from your end and optimization that depends on the factors that are not on your website, like backlinks from another site.
- What is on-page optimization?
On-page optimizations are the SEO factors on your website that you can control. These factors include the content you create, keywords, the positioning of keywords, the wire frame of your website, and more.
- What is off-page optimization
Off-page optimization is those factors that are out of the hands of digital marketers. On-page optimization may include various other factors like backlinking from other sites, being featured by other publications, press releases, participation in forums, and more.
- What are the different types of SEO practices?
SEO is divided into several practices that work in tandem to improve your site ranking on search engines. There are three major types of SEO i.e
- On-Page SEO
- Off-page SEO
- Technical SEO
Let’s take an even closer look at what these SEO activities are and how they work.
- On-Page SEO
On-page SEO is the strategy that marketers adapt to rank a certain page of the website on search engines. The activities that include On-Page SEO are:
- Using the right high-traffic keywords. This can be done by using keywords and placing them at critical points in the website’s content.
- Creating valuable content. This means adding content that includes keywords that are commonly searched for by users.
- Keyword optimization – which is to place your keywords at the right parts of the content and create good meta-tag SEO.
Google ranks pages that have a relation with other websites higher on the search engine. Off-page SEO is the activities that you can do to link your page with other pages so that search engines can easily find and rank your website.
- Create high-quality back-links to other pages that share the same intent as your website does.
- Link your pages to authoritative sites that are already ranked highly by the search engine.
- Getting guests to post on your website or have your website linked to forums online.
Technical SEO ensures that a website meets the technical needs of being able to be seen by search engines.
- Pages should be optimized for both computers and mobile users.
- Quality backlinks should link your website to other sites
- Pages should be optimized so that they load quickly
- Data should be structured according to the XML sitemap
- The URL structure should match the best practices and standards of search engines
- Why is online marketing preferred more than offline marketing?
- Offline marketing is fast becoming obsolete thanks to the internet penetration and usage of the internet by people of all ages. Online marketers have millions of customers to reach out to.
- It’s difficult to track the success rate of offline marketing, whereas online marketing is completely tangible and easier to measure in terms of success.
- Online marketing is comparatively much cheaper than offline marketing.
- What is keyword streaming?
This is one of the digital marketing strategy questions that must be answered. Keyword streaming is a commonly used practice in SEO. It aims to get the most results from the keywords that you have at hand.
How is Keyword streaming done?
Keyword streaming is a tool for SEO marketing. It is done by adapting your existing keywords to get more impact from search engines.
Keyword streaming is done by adding a hyphenated word, prefix, suffix, or plural form to keywords so that they attract more interest from search engines.
- How are backlinks characterized?
Let’s first take a closer look at what are backlinks and what are they used for? Backlinks are links from one website to another. They connect one page of a website with clickable links to a page on another website.
Google treats backlinks like ‘votes’. Pages that have a higher number of backlinks have a higher organic ranking by Google. In order to get more backlinks for your website you need to create more quality content that other websites would be happy to be linked to.
- What are the best ways to get a backlink to your website?
When getting backlinks to your website it is important to remember that it is the quality of backlinks that matters more than the number of backlinks. Backlinks of high quality make you an authoritative figure on the internet and this results in a higher ranking by search engines.
Search for broken links on other websites
This is one of the best ways to get a backlink for your website. All you need to do is find a link that is broken on another site. You then contact the webmaster on that site and inform him/her of the broken link. You can then suggest your web page as a substitute for the broken link.
Guest blogging on another website is also a good way to get backlinks to your site. It allows you to reach a newer audience and also gets your website ranked on Google.
You can create guest articles and post them on other websites. This will allow you to leverage your backlink so that you get a better ranking. Guest blogging also helps you gain more genuine followers from one website to your own.
- What are bad links and how are they characterized?
Bad links are those links that are on your website that do not get you more traffic and are not related to your site. They may be broken links, links with low traffic, or links that bring down your page ranking. They may also include links that have low useful content. When done incorrectly, bad links may also include links that are purchased or acquired through an exchange.
In short, a bad link is any link that does not promote your SEO or a link that violates Google’s policy.
- Name some areas where keyword optimization is done?
Keyword optimization can be done for several pages on your website. Inorder to get the best results from Keyword optimization, ensure that you are adding keywords only to crucial area of your webpage, without keyword stuffing.
Keyword optimization can be added to:
- The titles on your webpage
- Descriptions within your article
- Heading and body tags of your webpage
- Image titles and alt text of your webpage
- URLs for your webpage
- Why do a competitive analysis of your webpage?
A competitive analysis is a qualitative look at your website and a comparative look at your competitor’s website. A competitive analysis tells you what you can do to improve your website or acknowledge any threats from a competitor’s website that reduce your page traffic.
With competitive analysis, you can acknowledge what are your own and your competitor’s strengths and weaknesses. You can use this information to gain more traffic, generate more quality content and understand what you can do to outmaneuver the competition.
We hope that you have found this article and the digital marketing interview questions in it, useful. This article was brought to you by Movinnaz- a full spectrum SEO and web development agency that specializes in search engine optimization for businesses of all sizes. Keep reading our other articles to know more about SEO and digital marketing.